Sunday, November 13, 2011

I teach eighth grade mathematics and science. I feel that a blog is a great way for students to connect with your class, even when they may be somewhere else. I would use a blog as a place for students to find useful information, including additional copies of assignments, notes, and links to additional resources. This would also prove beneficial for parents who like to stay on top of their child's classwork. I would also use it as a place to show off what we are doing in class each day, as well as exemplary student work. These things all combine to provide students with a greater opportunity for success. Additionally, my blog could be used to assist fellow educators who are looking for an example of what someone else is doing in a similar grade level.

2 comments:

  1. T.J.
    I think you will find that your students really enjoy reading and commenting on each other's post. With math, you could have a great opportunity to have a homework help section! Parents are always complaining at my school that they can't help his or her child with home and you could could have examples or have a Q and A right on your blog! I teach reading and I can do the same, but with math I think the kids would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your ideas for using the blog with your students, Thomas. Students could share strategies for problem solving--provide each other the scaffolding they need to move ahead--you could even post a real world question and have them brainstorm solutions on the blog.
    Blogs can be wonderful tools for building a learning community--for keeping parents in the loop and given them a voice.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete